Sunday, April 10

Bustling, Busy Bogra

I fell asleep about ten minutes after the bus left. Despite the volume of all the honking and the lurching and bumping that happens along the way while you ride the Bangladesh bus system I have no trouble sleeping during the ride; I’m quite sure now that I can sleep near anywhere! So as I was saying, I fell asleep on the bus. I wasn’t worried about time because it was at least a two hour ride and I didn’t think I would sleep too deeply. The next thing I knew the bus supervisor was tapping me saying “Madam, please come” - we had arrived in Bogra: SHORTEST bus ride EVER!!!

The bus supervisor lugged my bag up the aisle and helped me hop off as I was still rubbing the sleep outta my eyes I was still a bit groggy from my nap as I waved goodbye. I found a covered tea stall to hide in (my new preference when arriving in a new spot!) and collect myself. I had my tea and decided on a hotel in the guidebook, and then asked the young man in the tea stall to help me get a rickshaw to the Akboria Hotel, which is apparently quite well known in Bogra, and I had no trouble.

It still amazes me how friendly, helpful, and almost protective people are here when I ask for help.  When the kid (he was like, I don't know, 17?) hunted me down a rickshaw and I asked him how much he told me (10 Taka, it's almost always 10 Taka) and then he had a fairly loud conversation with the driver that included finger wagging and a hand on the hip about not ripping me off and overcharging me.  My Bangla is getting better!!


Bogra was bustling and full of life in the centre of town, which centred around a railway line. The area of the Akboria hotel was down a narrow hallway between buildings that I wouldn’t have found without the help of some locals and a nearby security guard. I was doubtful that I was going to stay there for the first couple of moments, but once I saw the rooms I decided it was a fine place to stay and I booked myself a room.

I didn’t know anyone in Bogra so I just set down my bags, grabbed my book and wandered around.
I walked up the street from my hotel thinking I might come across something to see and found a small river.

From there I hopped a rickshaw to the Nawab Bari, or palace. Originally the building was an indigo plantation warehouse, but a nawab family bought it as their country home. It is surrounded by a collection of painted animals and people and a small children’s amusement park. I wandered inside the building and looked at their small dusty collection and their mannequins and room settings, and even took a few photos when the young guides suggested it.

If I understand it correctly, one of the most influential nawabs that lived in this spot was Muhammed Ali Bogra. He had a really colourful history with many interesting jobs (like High Commissioner to Canada, (isn't that a lofty title?!)  Ambassador of Pakistan and Ambassador to Burma, Foreign Minister, and the 3rd Prime Minister of what was then Pakistan), and I read a lot about him at the museum.

After that I wandered the streets awhile with no particular plan or places to visit. I walked around for a couple of hours before the sun started to set and I headed back to my hotel and dinner at the attached and very famous restaurant. They were very good to me there, very helpful even though the restaurant was incredibly busy.

Overall it was a pretty uneventful day but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I wrote awhile, read my book in my room, watched Prince of Persia and then went to sleep. In the morning I planned to visit a nearby citadel and old temple/mosque site before going on to Rajshahi again, but that was it for one day!


+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Morning came and I lazed about in my hotel room with my stomach doing funny things, grumbling and gurgling.  I was feeling quite tired and even a little listless, and not really ready to get on another bus.  I waffled back and forth in my dirty room about whether to go out and try to find the citadel.  It was to involve another LOCAL BUS ride, god in heaven help me, and I just didn't know if I could do it this particular morning.

I went and had breakfast, the restaurant staff finding me special more "private" seating on the top floor away from all the other gawking diners.  I had something to eat (my normal porata and dim and daal) and they enjoyed a private gawking session, all standing around watching me eat while I alternately giggled and shook my head.

I grabbed a cup of tea on my way out and found some laundry soap, I needed to wash clothes at my next stop.  Handwashing is easy enough, and I have so few clothes with me that it's necessary.  The heat makes it super easy to get everything washed and dried from bedtime to early morning - much more than I can say for Korea!!

Around 9 I finally decided that I couldn't stay in the disgusting room and I didn't want to catch the local bus to the citadel, so I wandered down to the front desk to ask them the best way to get to Mahastangar.  Lo and behold they told me it was a short 20Tk CNG ride, yippee!!

I got myself a rickshaw to the CNG stand, found myself a seat in a nearly-ready-to-go CNG (they only leave where there are 6 willing passengers headed in the same direction) and we were off.  I met a dentist along the way, one of the other passengers, and 20 minutes later after chatting most of the way he took it upon himself to get me to Mahastan Citadel and the temple next door, which involved catching another rickshaw once the CNG stopped at the local stand.

The museum was closed for the day, but I wandered the old temple site with the nice dentist and took some pictures of the beautiful views of the valley below.  Since the museum was closed (I actually get really bored by museums, so I was a little grateful!) I said goodbye to the dentist (he had to get to work) and walked the perimeter of the citadel on my own.


I wandered here and wandered there, and I marvelled at the way the locals had used the lands to its full agricultural potential despite the fact that it was an important site - everything in Bangladesh is old; I guess you can't really just stop using the space because there's something ancient and cool-looking on it!

As I wandered through the fields a few young people wandered behind me, shadowing my steps, and I walked into the centre of the walls rather than along the edge with the other tourists.  There was a group of women and a few children who were farming part of the land, and when I smiled a hello at them one of the women sat down and patted the ground beside her, inviting me to take a seat.  Of course not wanting to be impolite I padded over and plunked myself down beside her while they all gathered round and tried to decide what to make of me.

The friendly woman examined my clothing and gestured between us at the similiarities first and then the many differences.  She literally scratched her head a few times while she pondered, and the she took off my scarf and rearranged it before putting it back on me again - I'm not really sure what that part was about!  :)

After about 5 minutes (and more people starting to appear I'd had enough and wanted to resume my peaceful walk.  Interspersed with giggling school girls, school boys with puffed out chests, sunglasses, and spiky hair, and the odd canoodling couple, I had the peace and quiet I'd been looking for for most of the rest of my walk.

The sun was out by this time, quite hot, and I was thinking I should probably be back to check out of my hotel room around noon.  I know there was another old site about 10 minutes up the road by rickshaw but I was feeling a little dragged out, and really just wanted to go somewhere with a cleaner hotel with less noise that was more relaxing, so I headed back to the CNG stand.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my Bangla managed to get me right back where I started with the dentist, and then before I knew it I was back at my hotel to pick up my bags, bid farewell to the disgusting hotel, and find my way to the bus stand.  Next stop: Rajshahi to see my friends... a break from all the sightseeing.


I'm thinking I need a break!

No comments:

Things to do... +10/-5 every year

The list would look very different if it started before my travels began, but in the here and now, here is where it's at...

2009 List: 1. Finish my master's degree 2. Become fluent in another language 3. See something from at least 6 of the 7 continents (asia, north america (Mexico), south america, europe, africa, australia; antarctica - no thank you!) 4. Create a list of 100 books I would like to read 5. Take piano lessons 6. Learn functional Spanish Enter a 5km race and finish it 8. Make a list of 100 places I’d like to travel 9. Make myself a nice dress 10. Plant a garden of wildflowers (June 2009) 11. Take a yoga class (Korea 2010) 12. Try Bikram yoga (Korea 2010) 13. Learn to make 3 Korean dishes well 14. Be debt free 15. Be certified as an Advanced Open Water Diver (Thailand 2010) 16. Be certified as a Divemaster 17. Take the 4-week course in Thailand to finish diving certification to become an Instructor 18. Dive the Great Barrier Reef 19. Have a baby, become a mamma 20. Start a diveshop with an attached coffee/sandwich shop somewhere hot and beautiful 21. Go on a temple stay to a Buddhist Temple (Korea 2010) 22. Learn how to fly a plane 23. Learn how to sail 24. Ride a camel in the desert because it's the mode of transport (not a tourist trap) 25. Kayak into a cave to explore 26. Dive a shipwreck 27. See a big angelfish in the "wilds" (Thailand 2010) 28. Lounge on a beach along the mediterranean 29. Make a trek through a desert 30. Exercise regularly (at least 3 days per week) 31. Grow a vegetable garden (Alberta 2009) 32. Skate in Central Park 33. Live in India 34. Go to Mardi Gras 35. Visit an old section of the Great Wall, and hike along it 36. Spend a 3-day pass exploring Angkor Wat in SiemReap 37. Scuba dive somewhere in Canada 38. Spend the day at a spa luxuriating in spa treatments 39. Take a sketching class 40. Take a digital photography course 41. Travel in Sri Lanka 42. Explore the pyramids and the sphinx in Egypt 43. Learn to surf 44. Figure out why I'm obsessed about Ireland 45. Go to Machu Picchu 46. Study a martial art (for at least 6 months) 47. Drive around on a motorcycle in Vietnam 48. Go cliff diving 49. Keep a travel journal 50. Learn how to bellydance 51. Take a hot-air balloon ride 52. Learn to play badduk 53. Camp in a country other than Canada or the US 54. Go horseback riding in the mountains 55. See the Grand Canyon 56. Carve something nice out of wood 57. Take my mom on a vacation somewhere (Hawaii 2010) 58. Go on a multi-day kayaking trip somewhere beautiful 59. Visit a floating village 60. See a cave of crystal 61. Keep a journal going for one year (electronic or paper) 62. Design and make a piece of jewelery 63. Take a wilderness survival course 64. Order lunch from a floating market vendor 65. Learn how to paint with watercolors 66. Consult a medicine person or traditional healer 67. Ride in a horse-drawn carriage 68. Go parasailing 69. Go spelunking 70. Actually teach scuba diving 71. Take a cruise somewhere (maybe when I'm old!) :) 72. Learn to be a decent chess player 73. Visit a tribe of people somewhere who still live traditionally 74. Learn to make paper with flowers 75. Visit the ruins of a famous Greek or Roman temple 76. Learn to ballroom dance and perform once in front of people 77. Take a gondola in Venice 78. Go on a photo safari on a wildlife preserve in Africa 79. Participate in an active (i.e. real) archaeological dig 80. Go to Carnival in Brazil 81. Live in Italy 82. See an otter playing in the wild 83. Build a birdfeeder that birds actually use 84. Take some great photos underwater (Thailand 2010) 85. Go rafting (whitewater or not) 86. Live on an island somewhere 87. Volunteer in a country other than Canada 88. Climb to the top of a "famous" mountain 89. Become a "Dr." of something 90. Learn a song in a foreign language 91. Grow my own roses 92. Keep up on my blog 93. Host a dinner party for friends 94. Get a henna design done on my hand or foot in India 95. Sell some of my hand-made cards 96. Live somewhere in Africa 97. Visit a volcano 98. Go on a bicycle tour 99. Try snowboarding 100. Go to the coliseum in Rome 2010 Additions: 101. Go spelunking 102. Visit a city carved into a mountain or hillside 103. Make a scrapbook 104. Join a choir for fun 105. Make prints of some of my photos for the wall 106. Get to RSD dearmouring course 107. Finish the Red Lodge program 108. Visit my friends in the US 109. Take a train trip in Canada somewhere 110. 2011 Additions: 111. Sundance again 112. Join a recreational sport 113. Live in a big Canadian city 114. Go back to indoor climbing for fun 115. Eat a scorpion on a stick 116. Take a kid camping 117. See a live concert of a group/artist I really enjoy 118. Volunteer with the police again 119. Counsel kids 120. Go paragliding

Labels

sadness (7) Dad (6) love (6) Bangladesh (5) cancer (5) death (5) dying (5) school (5) travel (5) dreams (4) poetry (4) Chris (3) grief (3) health (3) life (3) thinking (3) work (3) "A Year in Pictures" (2) Korea (2) Rajshahi (2) Universe (2) anger (2) coffee (2) direction (2) goodbye (2) memory (2) procrastination (2) questions (2) quotes (2) remembering (2) starting things (2) things to do (2) village (2) "Myers-Briggs" (1) "New Years" (1) "Thoughts become things" (1) "Vagina Monologues" (1) "grow up" (1) ADD (1) ADHD (1) AWOL (1) Bogra (1) California (1) Christmas (1) Coehlo (1) Desiderata (1) Dinajpur (1) ISTP (1) MRS (1) Magic (1) Noelle (1) Rangpur (1) Santa (1) TUT (1) Zahir (1) art (1) attic (1) beauty (1) blog (1) brain (1) bucket list (1) bunny (1) career (1) change (1) children (1) choices (1) disappointment (1) doctor (1) enough (1) experiment (1) fall (1) fear (1) friends (1) goals (1) grumpy (1) heart (1) heartache (1) home (1) hope (1) hospital (1) lists (1) loss (1) luminescene (1) lyrics (1) memories (1) moving (1) path (1) patterns (1) personality (1) pets (1) plans (1) poverty (1) procrastinate (1) quit (1) safekeeping (1) seasons (1) secrets (1) soul mates (1) study (1) terror (1) train (1) war (1) watercolour painting (1) weekend (1)
counter